Monday, July 16, 2012

Bring that conveyor over!


I was working at one of my Plastic Injection Molding Machine Operator assignments.

One of my co-workers was having trouble keeping up with a machine. When parts were produced and dropped out, the production teams from the previous shifts were using a cardboard slide to convey the parts out to the production worker.

I know from my previous experience that is never really efficient and it strains the back.

My co-worker was so far behind, she had to have all that backup cleaned up before we left.

So I suggested to the supervisor, to find a conveyor. There was one not being used at the moment and the supervisor moved it over to my co-workers machine. With the conveyor, the parts could be collected in a bin at intervals and brought the table to safely and comfortably work on the parts.

With the cardboard slide it was too fast to keep up and the worker was hunched or stooped over to work.

I was so surprised he made that adjustment.

I also managed to alert other co-workers that this co-worker was so far behind, so they would spare a few minutes to help her. We couldn't leave until the job was done.

See how I tried to solve a problem with a grinder here: http://wp.me/pHaUC-HK

Thanks to the better grinder, I managed to find a few seconds between the shots of my machine to observe other workers and see who needs help. That is how I found out what was happening to my co-worker. And then bring the problem up to my supervisor before it was too late.

No comments:

History of Diabla Speaking Spanish