Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Chairs with Wheels

Chairs with wheels

One incident at work, I was being trained in on a job.

There was an adjustable chair with wheels. The girl that was my trainer was waiting for me to sit in the chair.

The chair was at a height I couldn't reach. I thought my trainer would see that without me telling her. I did have to say something.

After the chair was adjusted. I attempted to sit down. The chair rolled away. I fell to the floor. I nearly broken my tailbone and wrists, because I was trying to stop myself from falling hard. And, that's where I hurt for a few days.



The lesson

There should be a rubber mat on the floor under a rolling chair on hard floors. I was hesitant to sit, I thought it was unsafe. I tried it anyway. I should have stopped myself.

Ever since then I have been afraid of rolling chairs. I always remember that incident every time I see that girl.


The local library made some changes to the computer lab, they put in hardwood floors and rolling chairs. No mats.

The first thing that came to mind was the incident of me falling hard on the floor all because of me trying catch a rolling chair.

First thing I did when I logged in to the computer, I contacted the library, let the m know that the rolling chairs and hardwood floors are safety hazard. Especially for people with mobility issues. Next time I visited the library there were mats under the chairs.


Then the place I was working, management started to make changes. Took all the chairs at assembly cells away.

Left no arrangement for those who can't stand 8 hours. And in my opinion, some jobs are impossible or hard to balance while standing.


Then my employer set up a work area that required and office setting on the work floor. Set up with rolling chairs and no mats. Immediately, my mind goes back to the memory of me falling hard on my butt.

So, I put in a request for mats for the workers. The workers would be getting up and down through out the day. I wanted to prevent accidents.

My request never was granted. My guess is that the workers felt they didn't need mats. I tried.



No comments:

History of Diabla Speaking Spanish