Monday, October 29, 2018

Thrift Story

I worked at a thirft store. I didn't know styles and what was current. Many times I put things on the rack. I get my rack inspected. My selections were always scrutinized. My pricing was scrutinized. I was always scolded in front of everyone.


I do know what is good quality though, thanks to working at a thrift store. Looking for stains, rips, holes, wear and tear on the elbows, under the forearms on shirt sleeves, knees, crotch, and butt.


I now see people wearing clothes that they think are so special. But standing behind them I can see the wear and tear.


I see the embarrassing wear and tear on my clothes too. I change my outfits many time before I go out.


When I worked at the thrift store, I just had entered the workforce after being a stay at home mom. And experienced at buying clothes from a thrift store. I felt some pricing was still too high for a struggling family with many kids. So I tried to put lower prices on some clothes. But I never got away with it. My racks always got sent back for rework.


Then come the shorts season. We were starting to put shorts out. There was a rule for pricing. One of the supervisors helped me. She told me what prices should be on the shorts. So I did everything she said.


The next day I continued with this supervisor's advice. The lady next to me questioned me. Then that supervisor questioned me. She asked me, who said you could price shorts that way. Many of the associates around me pointed to her.


For the past 6 years I didn't care about the looks of my clothes, because I was in a factory 86 hours every 2 weeks. I was too tired to go out. I didn't need nice clothes.


I go back to the thrift store and I  inspect what is being brought onto the floor. Many times I yell out, "Oh really, Betty you passed this!" There's a lot of clothes out there with stains and rips, and with the regular pricing.


See this shirt...



Think it's just a pretty shirt that can be worn at any time.

I created  a controversy over this shirt.

My supervisor said it was a Christmas or New Years holiday shirt.

What about the people who don't believe in Christmas?

It's a pretty warm shirt that can be worn any time.



No comments:

History of Diabla Speaking Spanish