Thursday, October 18, 2018

Success in finding Full-time Employment

When I became full-time employee!

I finally got the call; full-time position available now. Not temporary, where month to month my contract could renew or end.

I finally made it in. I finally got to assemble. That was my main goal.

When I first started, I learned to build touchless spouts. Where you just wave your hand over the sensor, the water runs.

Learned how to build 3 different styles of touchless spouts, touchless flush valves, soap dispensers, and other little stuff that were called replacement parts. This assembly cell was my main cell.


When there wasn't enough work on this cell. I worked in a different value stream, assembling other plumbing accessories or subassemblies for other cells, for 3 other value streams. Someone volunteered to come to 2nd shift to teach me jobs in this value stream.

We didn't have a team leader. So if there was an issue where I had to stop production on the main cell. I went where the bill of materials were, I grabbed a job I could do or I go to the cells where a job was in progress, I would work there.

I worked on 2nd shift until they said, no more assembly second shift. I come to first shift. I had to learn build more complicated faucets. It took me so long to learn and get efficient. I couldn't pick up the pace, without making mistakes. Like, I forget instructions, hardware, or the handles didn't work. I really tried my best to get better.

Then came an opportunity to come back to second shift. This time I get jobs ready for 1st shift. My first night was terrible. I didn't complete all my jobs. The only thing I didn't get were all the instructions sheets for each job.

I really took the time to be accurate with my count, I counted 3 times. I audited each location, checking the labels, and parts in the bins to make sure everything is accurate.

There were first shift material handlers who helped the assemblers. When they put away parts, sometimes the parts get in the wrong location. Because they hurry to back to help the assemblers. There were so many times I found wrong parts in the wrong location.

When I completed 1 order, I took my cart full of parts to the cell swimlane. I looked over all the parts make sure I didn't miss anything. Before the end of the shift I checked my parts again. I went home satisfied with my work. I knew I did my best to get everything accurate, organized, and completed.

I had an average of 4 cells. 3 cells had an average of 2 jobs every night. 1 cell averaged 10 jobs every day.

One night, one cell had 19 jobs, the bill of materials all had similar numbers. I thought this would be easy to leave for later. I didn't know the numbers were so similar. I almost took 2 hours just to organize. On top of this, I still had 3 other cells to organize yet. I was overwhelmed. Yet my team leader had more work for me waiting. I wasn't informed until the last minute. I did attempt to do the extra work, but someone else had to finish.



My Work Experience, My Work Load

Then came the new challenge, they shut down second shift again.

There's one thing you need to know. I came to work every day with a smile. I did my work. I had fun doing my job.

I faced the challenges of getting to work. My commute was 40 miles each way, or 1 hour drive. I made it through all the snowstorms, icy roads, foggy conditions, animals in the road, and went to work during the work stoppage. Many weren't to happy with me, many didn't talk to me for 2 years. I am chief income provider. I just got off government assistance and I wasn't going back there.

My job saved my life. I was on my last emergency unemployment benefits 2012. I didn't have any income when I started as full-time 2012. Starting pay in my county was $9.00.

When my job ended abruptly, my friends were sad and angry. My LinkedIn summary and resume summary of contains what my friends said of me. "You are a good hard worker, who came in every day and got a lot of work done."












No comments:

History of Diabla Speaking Spanish